Friday, April 14, 2006

Spinning Cartwheels and Pole-dancing Bears

A small note of warning to all you aspiring gymnasts, cheerleaders, monkeys, breakers and whatsnot, DO NOT attempt doing multiple-multiple cartwheels after not doing any for a couple of years. Yes, i did that for the honour of my house, myself, and my family so now i am currently injured. OW.

So we got third for cheerleading, after 2 years of being champion house we broke it and ended up third. Even after i injured my shoulder (yeh i gg sinseh soon bah, thanks xuan =3) practising the cartwheels for gazzillions of times i still did it decently for the actual event. Well as a human i'll be frank, i don't think its my fault, well at least not significantly. In fact, i don't think its any of us cheerleaders' faults. Call me childish, call me a blame pusher, call me a bastard, call me a backstabber but personally i think our overall flop at sports day was cause of the house comm. No not just the current or the noms but both generations.

Now don't say i make unfounded accusations. But if you personally don't like to hear my beliefs then i suggest you skip the next four paragraphs or so.

Blame me, or rather us (the house) for being passive, un-motivated, un-passionate people but personally i believe every one of us needs to be inspired, to be pushed, to be given motivation. Not told but rather INSPIRED to aspire. I can't say i know them well, and i cant say that I am a great, charismatic leader but i can say that the fact that they have not sparked even a candle-flame in me for my house just proves their current lack of....inspiring qualities. I am a believer in charisma, I would personally vote for people who make me want to do things, who make me feel the drive, the motivation to take action, to take the lead. Unfortunately i can't say i possess much of these qualities, and people can preach even if they are inept in its practical aspects. So don't ask or mock me to why i take over them, since i think i'm so good, cause i don't think so, and while i'm not proud about my incapabilities i do believe it is my responsibility to make it known.

Maybe people argue that its just me that they can't inspire, or that i'm hard to motivate, that i'm just a passive voice in the crowd, forever speaking but never taking action. Well i CAN be motivated, i CAN be made to do things to 150%, i CAN be inspired to drive myself and i definitely have held passion. I had and still have now even more than before the love and passion for SJI. Even VJ cannot seem to replace SJI's place in my heart but instead can only settle with second place.

Lets have some concrete facts. Starting with the current house comm. Personally i can't say i've interacted much with them, but up till now i can certainly see why they were voted. They are certainly cute, lovable characters that tend to give you the "you'll break if i dont let u get in so i think i'll just vote you" feeling. Maybe thats how they got votes, or maybe last year they were truly impressive but now they've burnt out. Yet being friendly, being cute, being sociable does not mean you cna inspire a house. Being able to inspire your friends is different from inspiring people who may never have talked to you before. Up till sports day, and even then i have yet to see our house captain make the house cheer, or even make the house be less lethargic. True hes cute and he makes all his cute comments in his cute way but that only serves as entertainment and as token to his efforts i must say at least what we listen, somewhat, to what he says. We just don't really feel the enthusiasm or even the need to strive for our house's victory. At yesterday's sports day i saw him (after i went of to rest and do stuff after finishing cheerleading) and when a race with ursa running in it started, he did not even stand to cheer. Instead he chose to walk over (next to us) and sit with the soccer guys at the back of Ursa's allocated seating space. I did not even see him cheer at all for the whole day.

How would anyone expect US to feel the need to cheer?

Now on to the House Comm Noms...my current view is that most of them, up till now, have shown the desire for the house to win, have shown the passion for the house to certain extents. The pity is that they can't seem to spread this to the house, that when they ask us to cheer they literally ask us to cheer. Taking it like sex, theres no foreplay and in the end trying to make us cheer without foreplay is just like rape. I won't state who as i dont wish to affect the vote of whatever victorian that stumbles upon this blog, but i feel that they had not planned out training for cheerleading well enough and that they certainly....buckle and get grumpy under stress. I have to note that one is impulsive, one is too stubborn and unwilling to listen to constructive critisism.

AND NOW that i have fionished ranting about our student leaders in Ursa its time to show my respect and upmost liking for our teachers!

Now for those who have forgotten the title after reading my essay on top, i mentioned a pole-dancing bear. Well that happens to be one of the Ursa teachers (who has the shape of a bear too) and he, to entertain us bored and lethargic spectators, started to pole-dance around the Ursa flag wearing the bear-mascot-costume(you ought to have realised that our mascots a bear) that could not be zipped up due to his size. And also to Mr. Chow, who happened to add some cheers from Ursa due to his....shameless acts =D

Now charisma only means that you can inspire others with minimal effort, but that does not mean that with effort, we can't inspire others.

Lets hope the House Comm Noms learn something from our teachers =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home