Tuesday, May 27, 2008

colour and clarity

I remember a short passage from somewhere, long ago, about a group of blind people in discussion at a school for the blind. They discussed sight and there was a line that had always stuck to me in the back of my mind, "the ones who felt the saddest were those who had once been able to see. And they cried blind tears as they spoke of what they had lost and never cherished, the beauty of colours."

People always preach that "we never truly appreciate something till its gone", and when its gone, its never coming back. I never bothered to try the ideals that others come up with, for if I do not believe in it, I would never follow through anyway. Its only after i lost clarity in my right eye that i am reminded how much there is to miss in this world. For I lost clarity and vividness.

Thankfully I can still appreciate the full clarity and richness of colour that I once had by closing my right eye. An awful haunting reminder of what I'd lost and never retrieve, but also a constant lesson to appreciate what I still have, for if I lose it I can never get it back.

But I still wish I could just cry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home